What is craft materials?
Craft materials is a general term for fabrics and textiles that can be used for craft projects. As there are so many kinds of DIY and craft projects, there are also a plethora of DIY fabrics available to make them with.
When considering what fabric is right for you, you need to understand the project you are undertaking. Fabrics can have very different characteristics, ranging from weight and composition to yarn and structure.
It is important to take your time when choosing the right fabric for the job. Sturdier fabrics such as cotton and canvas will work for hardier jobs, while more delicate fabrics such as lace or Georgette will require a gentler hand and a project that is less handled.
Popular choices for DIY fabric:
How is it manufactured?
Each DIY fabric is made and manufactured using a different process. Some fabrics are knitted, such as neoprene and lace, while others are woven, such as satin and fleece. The manufacturing process makes a big difference to the fabric’s strength, construction, and handle.
You will also find that some craft materials is made with man made yarns, while others are made with natural fibers; cotton and linen being good examples of this. There are also those fabrics which are made with yarns consisting of a combination of man made and natural fibers. These fabrics can have the best of both worlds; the beauty of a natural fabric with the durability and ease of care of a synthetic.
Purposes of craft materials
Crafting and DIY have grown so much in popularity over the years, and this trend continues to grow. As such, people have been using more and more textiles for craft materials to complete their projects. Crafting can range from anything from making your own bags, to creating baby clothes, to making soft furnishings – and pretty much anything in between. The purpose of DIY fabric is to help creatives make their ideal DIY projects, using exciting and interesting textiles.
Different fabrics provide a range of textures, weights, handles, and finishes, and each one has their own distinct characteristics. Here is a list of some of the most popular DIY materials and their properties:
- Cotton – soft, lightweight, and thin: great for patchwork projects and light garments
- Felt – strong and soft, varies in thickness: doesn’t fray when cut, great for kid’s craft
- Denim – strong and sturdy with a twill weave: great for upholstery and home decor
- Fleece – strong, soft, and lightweight: perfect for blankets, jumpers, and hats
- Canvas – strong woven fabric both solid and durable: great for making bags and accessories
- Neoprene – heavyweight, thick and spongy: use for home décor, outerwear and stationary
- Velvet – woven fabric with a dense pile: smooth and soft, ideal for home décor, wall hangings and more
- Velour – highly stretchy, soft and shiny: beautiful and shimmery and ideal for home décor and soft furnishings
Advantages of craft materials
When you create your own craft materials, you have the unique advantage of choosing the perfect fabric for your project, as well as the design, pattern orientation and the size. These kinds of fabrics are versatile and interesting and will help push your DIY project to the next level.